Contact lens or good old eyeglasses? This fight is way older than what to choose between an android or an apple device. It is estimated that 60 percent of the World’s population uses vision correction devices and the most popular ones are contact lens and eyeglasses.
Though a choice between these two depends on personal preferences like lifestyle, budget, convenience, and aesthetics. But, before you jump on to a conclusion on which is better – Eyeglasses or contact lenses, let us make this decision easy by highlighting the pros and cons of using any of the two methods of vision correction.
Most of the people who have opted for vision correction for the first time started their journey with a pair of eyeglasses. They were invented in Italy between 1268 and 1289. The best part is that glasses offer a variety of solutions for vision issues like hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia.
Pros of using Eyeglasses:
1. No redness in your eyes as wearing glasses does not require touching the eyes, which reduces the risk of infection as well.
2. Easy to put on and remove when working on different tasks.
3. Eyeglass is cheaper than contact lens when calculating the long-term cost of both unless you break your glasses often.
4. They give a new look and can speak for your personal style if you choose the right pair.
5. Polycarbonate lens is shatter-resistant and protects the eyes from pollution, winds, and dust.
Cons of using Eyeglasses:
1. Can distort the peripheral vision, as it is about half an inch away from your eyes. It can lead to vertigo, nausea or blurry vision, especially for first-time users.
2. It can cause discomfort for those who have sensitive skin and can have reactions from certain metal or plastic material, which can lead to rashes or other reactions.
3. If the glasses are of high prescription, which is heavy on the nose cause migraine or sinus congestion.
4. Even though eyeglasses are easy to wear and take off, it can be a problem for you if you are into sports and need a good vision.
Contact lenses have been a popular choice since it became widely available in the 1980’s. Lenses provide a solution to the problem associated with wearing those intrusive pairs of eyeglasses stuck on your face. Contact lenses also save you from a situation when those glasses fall and you have to find them before they break and lead to a significant amount of money down the drain.
Pros of using contact lenses:
1. Vision is corrected with unobstructed peripheral vision, as it is closer to the eye when compared to eyeglasses.
2. Contact lenses are easier for people who participate in sports or any physical activity; as it is once inserted, can be forgotten.
3. Contact lenses do not fog up while you enjoy a comforting cup of tea/coffee or do not weigh heavily on the nose even if you have a high prescription.
4. Aesthetically, contact lenses don’t clash with your clothes or style. You can even experiment with the different color of contact lenses available in the market.
Cons of using contact lenses:
1. Some people experience redness in their eye if they wear it for a long period and can lead to high chances of infection.
2. Contact lenses can be much more expensive when compared to glasses.
3. If the prescription of vision is not mild, a pair of eyeglasses is mandatory to be kept as a back-up
4. Lenses require high maintenance, as they require proper cleaning each day with a prescribed solution/liquid.
5. Some people take a long time to learn the technique of using contact lenses and can lead to wasting too much time on a minor task like this.
While eyeglasses and contact lenses both are excellent choices for vision correction, but you should always make sure that such a decision should not be made only on the basis of personal preferences. A medical professional should always be consulted before opting for eyeglasses or contact lenses. You can also order trial contact lenses, to make sure you are comfortable before making any choice.
- Wash your hands and dry them with a lint-free towel before touching your lenses.
- Keep all solution bottles closed when you are not using it.
- To know more about eyeglasses – visit gurl.com
- One can buy beautiful eyeglasses on lenskart.com